Monday 30 January 2012

Tasting Journey #7 - Twisted Fork Bistro

Twisted Fork Bistro
1147 Granville St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1M1
www.twistedforkbistro.ca

Located in downtown Granville, in the area where I could say I'll never have the chance to walk by.  The restaurant is small, yet cozy; Dark, yet friendly.  Apparently, according to their website, the chiefs were former owners of a restaurant that was voted 'Best Resort Restaurant in North America 2003'.  Serving sort of tapas-like French cuisine, Zofia and I ventured out on taste buds by trying out 5 dishes, and their oh-so-fresh mussels.
The seating plan at Twisted Fork was unique.  There were the ordinary table&chairs, and then there were the wooden cubicles.  Shaped in a "", Zofia and I sat side-by-side and faced directly at the kitchen (would have been kinda awkward if I didn't know my meal-mate well), .  The cubicle had a 90 degree seat backs, and had seating quite close to the ground (like the type that you would see in a library or public area) so that when looking straight ahead, the horizon of our vision would be below the counter top.   Essentially, we were staring at a stainless steel wall slate.  Interesting.

The construction of the menu was very creative.  Like the name of the restaurant, the menu uses a "twisted fork" as the securing mechanism for the clipboard. The serving speed was also quite fast, much faster than I had anticipated at a French restaurant.   We were so hungry and excited about the food that I had completely forgotten about documenting the foods for my blog until 2 dishes later, and until my stomach had some sense of satisfaction.

Similar to the style of the restaurant, the flavouring was rich, yet simple. If I must complain, I would say that the food could be slightly warmer for the cold Vancouver night.  Of the dishes we tried, I would strongly recommend the 1lb fresh mussels.  Very generously proportioned, it comes in a thick lustrous creme sauce that really complimented the seafood.  The dish also comes with some complimentary buns that acts as the perfect tool to clean up the extra sauce you may have after you're done with the mussels (and without a doubt, you would be so gladly to wipe that dish clean!)
 

So how much are we looking at? $50/person including tips. Not so bad for an awesome night out with an awesome friend on a Friday night eh!?

No comments:

Post a Comment