Friday 2 March 2012

Tasting Journey #18 - Fatty Cow Seafood Hot Pot

Fatty Cow 小肥牛火鍋專門店
5108 Victoria Drive
Vancouver, BC
604-568-6630
www.fattycowhotpot.com


Hot Pot
Delighted by a dinner invitation from Carol & Karen, I immediately said yes.  The infamous Fatty Cow is a hot pot chain in Taiwan.  I'm not sure if this Fatty Cow is affiliated with the Fatty Cow in Taiwan.  Being 4 asians, and being familiar with hotpots, we immediately ordered must-have's like the pork/beef meatballs, pork/beef meat slices, frozen tofu, soft tofu, tong hao (茼蒿), prune juice...etc.  Then there's also - I'm assuming HK-style hotpot must-haves - things like tripe, oyster, spinach, squid, fried fish skin (?)...

mango pudding
Like all other all-u-can-eat restaurants, an order sheet was provided where you check off the items you'd like to eat.  We ordered 鴛鴦鍋 where half of the broth is spicy and the other half non-spicy with preserved egg.  As soon as the food came,  we were so busy with the cooking, or in Japanese, the しゃぶしゃぶ-ing that I completely forgot to take photos.  It was only when we were fully stuffed and satisfied that I realized I need to log this for my goal.  Quickly, I snap a photo of what was remaining of the well-worked pot.  As there were already people waiting in line to get a table, the waitors quickly cleaned out table as soon as they noticed that we were slowing down.  Right away, they served the dessert - mango pudding - rich in mango flavouring.

I wouldn't say that this hot pot place is exceptional, but the ingredient is fresh.  Despite the crowd, it would be more than fair to say that the Fatty Cow is a mere grade of "B-".  Little Sheep Hot Pot (小肥羊) would beat Fatty Cow any other day in terms of flavouring and pricing.

No comments:

Post a Comment