Sunday 25 March 2012

Tasting Journey #24 - Hell's Kitchen

The Soprano
Hell's Kitchen
2041 W. 4th Vancouver, BC
604-736-HELL
http://www.hells-kitchen.ca/hk/index.html


I have always wanted to try out Hell's Kitchen.  Reason being that it is always listed as one of the restaurants participating in the Dine Out Vancouver event.  This annual event is one of Canada's largest restaurant festival, and most of the participating restaurants I've tried have all left quite a good impression of the food, the service, and the atmosphere.

Staten Island Chicken
Hell's Kitchen is known for its pizza, so after asking the server for recommendation, we decided to share its most popular pizza, The Soprano, and 2 appetizers to share.  The interior of the restaurant resembles a sport pub.  Dim lit atmosphere, huge flat screen TV's in every possible angle you face, bar tables with tall chairs...etc.  Judy & I arrived at the restaurant around 6pm (had to wait for Lucas to wake up from his afternoon nap), and the restaurant was packed with people in Canucks jerseys, and people with beer in their hands.  I guess there's a hockey game tonight.  Since the tables were almost all occupied in the main space, the waitress asked if we were OK to sit in the small room off to the side.  It was perfect since we had a 1-yr child with us, and it fenced us off from all the beer drinker.  It was like having our own VIP room and also allowed Lucas to play as freely as he wants without been stared at, haha.

Crab Dip
The 2 appetizers were the Crab Dip, and also the Staten Island Chicken Strips.  Frankly speaking, both were quite disappointing.  The crab dip was a dish with bread and nachos that wasn't something out of the ordinary.  The cheesey dip quickly chunked up as it cooled making it difficult to "dip".  The chicken strip was coated in a Moroccan sauce that had a strong taste, a taste full of East Indian spice...and being not a fan of spice, it didn't not win some drooling from my end.  The pizza was OK.  Topping included spicy capicolla, prosciutto ham, provolone cheese, basil, and chorizo.  It was a bit too salty to my liking.  I do like the crust though, thin and crispy.

Overall, I left the restaurant feeling unsatisfied.  I think Judy also felt the same way, as we only managed finished to eat half of the pizza.  The service wasn't great either given that no one came to refill our water (which we quickly drank due to the high sodium level of the pizza).  Not the most ideal place to chat and talk, nor a suitable place to bring a toddler.  My bad.  Better selection of restaurant next time.  Maybe the only good thing is that I can log it as part of my restaurant goal, but having been there now, I don't think I will go back anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment