Tuesday 29 April 2014

Tasting Journey #99 - 美觀園

美觀園
台北市峨眉街47號
02.2331.0377
http://www.oldshop.com.tw/


If you love value sushi, then this is "the" place.  Located in the centre of the bustling tourist area, 西門町, the restaurant is a stand-alone, four-stories tall building that is packed with families of all ages.
As soon as you walk in, you can tell that this used to be, and continues to be, a popular place to dine at.  The interior decoration hasn't been updated to match with the nowadays fashion, but rather, remained in an era that I would assume would be the mid 50's-60's.


 I came here to have lunch with a friend from Taichung. She said the food is fresh, big portioned and very decently priced. I looked at the menu. It served food from sashimi to home style cooking such as stir fry udon, to curry rice.  This is a place where you can be sure that everyone's taste buds can be looked after.
 

I ordered the deluxe assorted sashimi don, and my friend ordered a salmon sashimi don.  My deluxe sashimi is sooooo good. The bowl came with overflowing sashimi, and the rice was fully covered in furikake (seaweed flakes) which I absolutely love.  The dish was completely what I was looking for.  The salmon rice bowl is a bit smaller, and came covered in generous slices of salmon sashimi.  Perfect for salmon lovers and for someone who doesn't have as big of an appetite.  Well, it is also reflected in the price since the deluxe is NTD$550, and the salmon is NTD$260. 


Looking at the price point, I would say the strategic way of dining at this place is to round up a few people to share the dishes so that you can order filler dishes such as stir-fries/noodles (these range in the mid $100's), and then a few sashimi platter to average out the cost.

I would absolutely no doubt recommend this place to anyone who is looking to enjoy a meal of fresh sashimi and not have to pay an arm for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment