Saturday 27 September 2014

Tasting Journey #145 - 小川台灣居酒屋

小川台灣居酒屋
台北市松壽路20號(威秀影城一樓)
02.2723.2005

I thought it was a izaakaya, but it's actually Szechuan cuisine.


Located in the same building as the Viewshow cinema, the restaurant blended well in this trendy district.  Brand new, still reeked of solvent, the lighting and the ambience provided a warm and comfortable setting. Cozy yet modern.


The first thing I noticed is the chair. Leather tightly strung to a metal frame. It looked cool, but it wasn't comfortable to sit in. I ended up switching seats with my friend who was originally sitting on a long wooden stool.


Menu offered dishes of some Japanese sashimi/sushi dishes, but at the same time, Szechuan stir fries.  While writing this post, I googled some articles about this restaurant, and read that it is owned by the cousin of a celebrity whose husband owns a chain of Szechuan restaurants in China & Taiwan.  According to the article, the chief of the Szechuan restaurant also played a role in determining the dishes that were offered.  Frankly speaking, I don't know what to think about it because the setting is quite izakaya-style, yet it offered a mix of Japanese and Szechuan dishes.  I guess this is considered "fushion"-style maybe?


We ordered a few Szechuan dishes, and they were all quite well made.  Of noting is the 金沙玉米. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it is quite unique and tasty.  Corn dipped in salted yok, and deep fried, I'm assuming. Definitely a recommended dish if you were to visit.
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment