Saturday 27 December 2014

Tasting Journey #167 - 院子 Yard restaurant and bar

院子 Yard restaurant and bar
台北市基隆路一段163-1號1樓
02.2528.7733
no website available


Recently opened, and my friend is the manager there.
The restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Taipei, but an interesting location of an apartment building.  Following the address registered, I walked into the apartment, and all I see, is the security counter and the elevator.  I saw a huge door (behind the security counter) that has the restaurant's name - Yard, printed on it, but the door doesn't seem accessible.  Peeking through it, it looks like it's an emergency exit from the Kitchen.  Checking with the security guard, he says to walk to the backside of the apartment where the entrance of the restaurant is located.

 
In fact, the back side of the apartment is much more convenient, as it is just around the corner from the metro station.  If I were to follow the address, I would need to make a huge loop.

 
The restaurant is dainty.  A tiny yard is located on the front, and the wall has greenery that climbs to the ceiling.  From the inside, it is modern like a loft.  The counter is also designed with wooden crates.

 
Greeted by my friend, we sat down.  The menu doesn't have too many selections, but does indeed have all the basics ranging from salad, to sandwiches to pasta.  We asked for recommendations, and picked a few dishes to try.

 
We ordered a salad, an appetizer, and a pasta dish.  The salad is by far my most favourite.  It is presented in a jar form and a wooden bowl.  All the ingredients including the dressing lies nicely in the jar so that all you need is to pour it out and toss.

 
The appetizer's not bad, but I think the pasta needs some adjustments.  There too much sauce, but the flavour isn't rich enough. 


I think overall, it is a good starter, and I do hope that it gets better soon.
Would I go back? I'm not sure... probably yes if my friend continues to work there, and that it'd be a good chillout place.  Otherthanthat, the ambience and the food aren't so attractive nor unique enough to make me want to head back for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment