Monday 13 October 2014

Tasting Journey #150 - 阜杭豆漿店

阜杭豆漿店
台北市中正區忠孝東路一段108號2樓   
02.2392.2175

An infamous breakfast place that serves traditional Taiwanese breakfast (soy milk, chinese donuts, pancakes...etc) and requires over one hour of line up each time.


This place is located around the corner from Taipei Sheraton Grand Hotel.  For the past few years, I've always stayed at Sheraton everytime I stop by Taipei for business trips. I've heard of recommendations for this place, but the thought of having to wake up at 5am and line up for 1+ hours just doesn't make me want to even bother.

My friend and I arrived around 9:20am on a Sunday morning, and the end of the line is already way around the corner.  Thanks to a friend's friend whom is a food addict, and whom is willing to line up for us, we only had to wait another 30min before placing our orders.

The restaurant or more like a booth takes up the entire 2nd floor of the building.  Imagine a food court with only 1 booth, and with the rest of the space being tables and chairs, all self-served.


We ordered lots of food, just to ensure we have all what we want so we don't have any regrets.  I do have to say that they need improvements on their ordering SOP.  First of all, it's mostly tourists that go there. The only menu is what's written on the wall, in Chinese.  I guess you can finger point the food in front of you, but that makes the process/wait longer.  We had a list of what we wanted to order, and the servers were super quick with tallying up the cost.  I thought they would have the whole ordering process down packed and error-free, but I guess it wasn't the case.  After we had paid, taken our food, and sat down at a table, we realized that we were missing food.  It would've been OK if they missed a few items, but it's definitely not OK to have paid for the food and not receive them.  Luckily, they were friendly enough to give us our outstanding order without making us line up again.

 
 
Overall, I have to say that the food isn't bad, but it definitely isn't worth the lineup, the crowdedness nor the hassle.  I would have been happy just going to any other 永和豆漿, another popular franchise that serves traditional Taiwanses breakfast.



No comments:

Post a Comment