Saturday 17 August 2013

Tasting Journey #38 - Avenue Grill

Avenue Grill
2114 West 41st St.
Vancouver, BC
604.266.8183
http://dinehere.ca/vancouver/avenue-grill-the

Mediterranean Calamari
This place has been around for over 20 years since when I was back in elementary school. It is a family diner located in Kerrisdale.  I've walked/drived by it a countless number of times, always noticing the neon signs, but never ever thought of stopping by.  Browsing on Groupon's daily deal, I noticed that there was deal at Avenue Grill where it is $30 for $15. So I bought it.  My thought is that if it can exist for 20 years, it can't be bad right? I had mentioned this deal to my colleague who also lives in that neighbourhood.  She said she would sometimes go there for brunch.  The deal I bought was for dinner. 

I've always thought that this is a burger joint, but now glancing at the options on the menu, it is possibly Italian or Mexican - Pasta, Calamari, Risotto, Jambalaya, Veal...

French Onion Soup with bread & cheese
 
We ordered two appetizers, and one entree to share. Total cost - $38
     Appetizer: French Onion Soup ($10), Mediterranean style Calamari ($11)
     Entree: Jambalaya with Fettuccine ($17)

Jambalaya
I can't say that the food is to my liking because I find it all very salty. However, having tried multiple french onion soups when I was Paris, I am inclined to think that it is quite authentic (though I don't think it's a French restaurant) because the onion soups I had in Paris were just as salty. 
Calamari was salty & spicy. Jambalaya was salty as well.

The portions are quite fair for its price.  The two of us couldn't even finish the Jambalaya.

Based on this visit, I have to say that this restaurant would go into the "been there, done that" bucket.  It's been in operation long enough for me to have to try it, but not to my preference where I will want to go back.

Maybe brunch is better.




No comments:

Post a Comment